Ish Oprah Says
Catchy eh, but best believe usually what comes out of Oprah’s mouth ain’t ish (the non-cussin way to say shit).
In fact, she drops an A bomb of knowledge like 98% of the time. I’m not a devotee of the pseudo religion people have made out of following her and any other of her mentees she’s groomed over the years (Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, Iylana Vanzant) but I do keep my ears open for some of the quality stuff she passes along.
So she recently wrote an excellent column for O Magazine. “The Top 20 Things Oprah Knows for Sure.”
Here are some of my favorites:
1. What you put out comes back all the time, no matter what. (This is my creed.)
2. You define your own life. Don’t let other people write your script.
3. Whatever someone did to you in the past has no power over the present. Only you give it power.
7. If the only prayer you ever say is thank you, that will be enough. (From the German theologian and humanist Meister Eckhart.)
9. Failure is a signpost to turn you in another direction.
13. Let passion drive your profession.
15. Love doesn’t hurt. It feels really good.
16. Every day brings a chance to start over.
17. Being a mother is the hardest job on earth. Women everywhere must declare it so.
18. Doubt means don’t. Don’t move. Don’t answer. Don’t rush forward.
20. “Trouble don’t last always.” (A line from a Negro spiritual, which calls to mind another favorite: This, too, shall pass.)